Downtime and Hotpatch apply mode in adop R12.2
Downtime Mode adop R12.2
When applying patches in this mode, adop will first confirm that the application tier services are down, and will then proceed to apply the patch to the run edition of the Oracle E-Business Suite database and file system. Downtime mode patching does not use an online patching cycle. The process of applying a patch in downtime mode completes more quickly than in online mode, but at the cost of increased system downtime.
To run adop in downtime mode, you use the following command line options. In this example, patch 7777777 is applied in downtime mode:
$ adop phase=apply patches=7777777 apply_mode=downtime
It does not require the prepare phase
Important point to note with respect to downtime mode
1) Release 12.2 patches are not normally tested in downtime mode.So this mode should be used in emergency situation only
2) Downtime mode is only supported for production use where explicitly documented, or when directed by Oracle Support or Development.
3) This mode was introduced to optimize the process of upgrading to Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2
4) No patching cycle can be in progress. Even though adop will prevent you from applying patches in downtime mode while a patching cycle is under way, it is important to keep this in mind for planning purposes
5)To prevent massive invalidation in the database, code objects deployed to the database should not include parent objects that could cause extensive invalidation on dependent objects. If this does happen, a significant amount of time will be required for code recompilation.
6) Directories that contain code deployed to the application tier during emergency patch deployment must be registered with the custom synchronization driver, to ensure successful automatic file system synchronization by the adop synchronization process.
In hotpatch mode, adop will apply the patch to the run edition of the system while application services are still running. Patches that can be safely applied in hotpatch mode (such as NLS and Online Help patches) will document this in the patch readme. Hotpatch mode cannot be used if there is an online patching cycle in progress.
To run adop in hotpatch mode, you use the following command line options. In this example, patch 7777777 is applied in hotpatch mode:
$ adop phase=apply patches=7777777 apply_mode=hotpatch